Efficacy vs other therapies
Why prescribe SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® rather than SPIRIVA®?
SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® provided significant improvements in major clinical components of COPD over SPIRIVA®1,2. Benefits of SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® over SPIRIVA® are provided with a comparable safety profile to SPIRIVA.®2
SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® provides:
Significant improvements in lung function vs SPIRIVA®, seen within 5 minutes of the first dose, lasting at least 24 hours3,4
52% improvement in breathlessness and reduction in hyperinflation vs SPIRIVA®2
Better quality of life vs SPIRIVA®2
A reduced need for rescue medication compared to SPIRIVA®3
Comparable safety profile to SPIRIVA®2
Why choose SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® and not a LABA/ICS?
SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® improved lung function across 24 hours significantly better than LABA/ICS.5
In patients with GOLD 2-3 stage disease, SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® provided 69% improvement in FEV,
AUC0-12h over twice daily salmeterol/fluticasone 50/500 mcg.5
FEV1 profiles over 24 hours*5
Adapted from reference 5
* Primary endpoint: change from baseline in FEV1 AUC0-12h after 6 weeks of treatment with either once-daily SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® or twice daily fluticasone propionate/salmeterol; FDC delivered by the Accuhaler®
Secondary endpoints included: FEV1 AUC0-24h, FEV1 AUC12-24h, peak0-3h FEV1, and trough FEV1 response after 6 weeks of treatment.5
Initiation of COPD therapy with a LABA/ICS is not recommended*6
Based on the GOLD 2017 strategy report and a Cochrane Review, LAMA/LABA is a preferable first line treatment for the majority of symptomatic COPD patients, regardless of exacerbation risk. ICS containing regimens are not recommended for COPD treatment initiation.6,7†
*LABA/ICS may be the first choice in some patients. For example, those with a history and/or findings suggestive of asthma-COPD overlap.6
†Start GROUP B patients with severe breathlessness and all GROUP D patients on LAMA/LABA; start GROUP B patients without severe breathlessness on a LAMA or a LABA.
- Buhl R, et al. Eur Respir J 2015;45:969-979.
- Singh D, et al. Respir Med 2015;109:1312-1319.
- SPIOLTO® RESPIMAT® Summary of Product Characteristics February 2017.
- Beeh KM, et al. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2015;32:53-59.
- Beeh KM, et al. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2016;11:193-205.
- Gold COPD strategy report 2017. Available at: http://goldcopd.org/gold-2017-global-strategy-diagnosis-management-prevention-copd/ [Accessed August 2017].
- Horita N, et al. Cochrane Database 2017;2:CD012066.